Monday, November 17, 2008

It's snow Captain but not as we know it.

Well the snow has arrived. We've had 15cm in the last 3 days and another 5-10cm expected over the next 24 hours. The kids are having a whale of a time and I have to admit so am I. We've made giant snowballs, a family of snowmen and had numerous snowball fights. Temperatures are thankfully still comfortable in the -5 to +2 degrees ballpark. Less exciting is having to regularly clear the driveway of snow. Apparently, if it isn't done regularly it gets compacted, freezes and becomes both hazardous and more difficult to clear thereafter. My neighbours tell me that by the end of winter the piles of cleared snow at the edges of the drive will be as tall as I am. Who needs the gym when you can shovel snow like this? I think I'll probably buckle by the new year and invest in one of those fancy snowblowers. I've also put a winter pack in the boot of my car consisting of a snow brush/ice-scraper, collapsing snow shovel, blanket, torch, drinking water and emergency chocolate rations. If my car gets stuck in the snow I should use my floor mats under the wheels to get traction. How bad can it possibly get? I friend of mine was following another car on his way home out of town though the snow last week. Conditions were slippery and with no street lights out of town the best he could do was stay in the tracks carved by the car in front. He thought he was doing ok until the car in front of him suddenly disappeared into a deep roadside ditch. Thankfully, my friend was able to stop in time and check on the occupant but it was a close call. It all sounds rather frightening but hey, look on the bright side, at least the bears have all gone into hibernation.

No comments:

Followers